3.26.2010

A Link and a Poem


Olivia is on the couch and the room is darkened. That's what you do when you have pink eye or "The Insufferable Pink Eye" as she titled her drawing this morning. She doodled super-hero cats with tiny droppers that magically banished itchy eyes while we sat in a waiting room for close to two hours.
It is good to be home. I just put drops in her eye and rubbed some essential oils on her feet. Immupower. Lemon. Lavendar. Soon we will share some chamomile tea. The tea bags make great compresses for the eye afterward. Very soothing.
Last night we ohhed and ahhed over tiny paper art and you must see them too. Tiny constructions in cardboard (toilet paper size) rolls.

My only other offering to you is a poem that stayed with me all week.
It's by Tess Gallagher

I Stop Writing the Poem

to fold the clothes. No matter who lives
or who dies, I’m still a woman.
I’ll always have plenty to do.
I bring the arms of his shirt
together. Nothing can stop
our tenderness. I’ll get back
to the poem. I’ll get back to being
a woman. But for now
there’s a shirt, a giant shirt
in my hands, and somewhere a small girl
standing next to her mother
watching to see how it’s done.

The busy weekend we planned with it's dance company try-outs, birthday party and playdate looks to be instead a simple one at home while Olivia recovers. Cuddling with movies, books and things to draw and stitch sound like the direction we will be headed.
Hope your weekend is a lovely one.
xoxo

10 comments:

Susan said...

Oh poor Livvie. Be sure to remind her to wear some cool sunglasses while she recovers. I had this as an adult and it was misery. I wish I had had the superhero cats then.

What a beautiful poem. I loved it.

Enjoy your weekend. Susan

d smith kaich jones said...

You make pink eye sound pretty fun, you know. :) Love, love the poem and the cutouts and even your weekend plans, changed though they may be. And quite impressed with a young lady who draws superhero cats. Oh. And I'm crazy about the photo! One stop shopping here!

xoxo
Debi

kah said...

Thanks for stopping my blog. :)
I loved that you use oils! I have tons. Young Living I assume, since you specified Immupower.
I hope Olivia feels better soon.
Great poem!

Tiffany Trent said...

You are the best mom in the world. For realz! Big hugs to you both and all the superhero cats!

Susan Tuttle said...

that beautiful poem speaks for so many women -- i am so happy you posted it.

How are you my friend?

I hope Olivia is all better.

xxoo

kelly@thebluemuse said...

Love the poem, so visual and tender...hope your olivia is feeling better!

HappyDayArt! said...

I love that poem!

Gypsy Purple said...

Wishing you a happy and blessed Easter! xx Gypsy Purple

Gerushia's New World said...

Someone already said it, but you DO make pinkeye sound rather pleasant. If I were a young girl, I'd rather have pinkeye and you for my mom than NOT have pinkeye and have someone else for a mom.

Kim
Gerushia's New World

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh my gosh! You find the coolest stuff! And, if you don't mind, I just might have to swipe this poem for one of my Sunday Morning Poetry posts.