9.18.2007

Contentment Found

Oh, the beach was fun! Yummy seafood. Lazy days sitting on the beach. Walks along the shore finding nature's treasures. For the first time I found beauty in the broken shells--in years past I would look only for those that were whole. This time I focused only in the magnificent subtle colors of each piece. I used the colors found on my walks as inspiration for art, getting up early, 5:30 or so and painting til the others woke up, not wanting to take time away from family togetherness. This worked out beautifully as my heart filled to bursting with gratitude each morning as I watched the sun rise up into the sky. I can't say that I am happy with every painting that I did, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process of each and every brush stroke.

My art supplies.
Birdies would come each evening and pose. This is the view from the deck of Cape Girl (which by the way was no longer pink, but a bright shade of fun yellow. Also new was a hottub!). Isn't the view just grand?
A special heart found on the steps leading to the beach. I found this just after I had been praying/meditating on opening my own heart. I love it when God/Universe gives us signs. My view in the morning as I sat on the deck with my cup of Earl Grey.


And lastly this is Ann-Marie. She is the final piece of art I made at the beach. She hopefully reflects the feeling of deep contentment and healing I had by the end of the week. I added the pasted words this morning. I tore four pages from a vintage book and cut words from those, almost not believing my eyes as each time I thought of a word I wanted to find, why there it was on the page, like magic!
This is a 9x9 piece so the top is cut off by the scanner bed. The top is brown around the edge like the other sides. The most fun part for me is the addition of sand along the bottom. I tried to make the bottom of her skirt match the pattern on a shell.



As day succeeded day by the sea,


Anne-Marie's hope


Courage and Strength came back.


She felt serenity and


clear understanding


miraculously restored.


She was calm and at peace.


It was as though the wind


was a gentle hand


simple


stretched out


to wipe away her confusion.


On her last night


by the sea


Ann-Marie


let her mind forget


and she cried


as a child might.


****


I will work as I can on the other pieces and will share them soon. Hope all is well with each of you.


18 comments:

Leah said...

what a beautiful, beautiful piece, tricia. love it!

Laura said...

Tricia! Hi - first I don't know why I decided to check in on your blog today of all days but something told me to and here I find your post - your first one after 14 days away - ok I'm blown away by that coincidence!! :) Anyhow, I LOVE this beautiful piece! What a wonderful journey of the heart, no tourist shop & trinkets needed :)
Laura
xo

Rella said...

Welcome back my dear friend and it is so lovely to read words from you again and see the beauty you see translated into yet MORE beauty.
You are a treasure. xo Rella

Valaine said...

Wow! I loved what you shared about the heart you found. I wonder what it meant to you? To me it made me think of vulnerability when we share our dreams, our love and our soul. It also reminded me to be careful that they don't get stepped on :) Such beautiful pictures and art and words, I'm overwhelmed with all this wonderful inspiration that you are sharing and radiating :)

jen duncan said...

Oh what a lovely place to spend time Tricia! Glad you made it home. LOVE Ann-Marie. :-) great work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your very special time at the shore. I immediately could feel the crisp air and breeze of the Atlantic, the softness of the sand, and the unique song of wave and bird. Ann Marie is quite something and I am glad she manifested herself as a reminder of this time. Thank you for the beautiful painting. She is even more breathtaking in person. xoxoxoxoxox

xxxxx said...

I'm so glad you found such serenity, nurture and creativity at the beach. Thanks for sharing some of those moments with us. Blessings,

Lee Weber said...

The beach is the same for me- it always brings peace and contentment. I love Anne Marie- she is so pretty. Glad you are feeling rejuvenated!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

For the fist time I found beauty in the broken shells.... That sentence just blows me away. How wonderful your perspective is, it is true isn't it? There is beauty in the broken. happy your back. xoxo nita

MNScrapbookmom said...

Miss Anne-Marie is nothing less than incredible. I adore her. Today, I wish that I lived closer to the ocean, its miraculous way of clearing the mind is that of nothing else. Love your broken shell... Beauty in the simple things in life... love it !!! Glad to have you back...¥

Jeanne said...

Yay! You're back! I missed your posts and artwork. So happy you had such a restful (and productive) time at the beach. The pics look amazing!

Yolanda said...

Looks as though you had a lovely time. I love he heart on the steps.

Yolanda said...

Looks as though you had a lovely time. I love he heart on the steps.

Judy said...

Yaah you are back. i missed you. love the photo's - especially the birds - all sounds so wonderful. You ahve worked your magic again the painting is stunning. xox

Anonymous said...

Tricia,

Your work is absolutly amazing. I am in awe each time I visit. I owe you an email.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie is lovely.

Susan Tuttle said...

What a heavenly vacation at the beach! The view from your deck where you sipped tea--sigh, sigh.... The heart on the step that you happened upon while reflecting on your own heart--no words for that--miraculous!!

I just adore 'Ann-Marie" and the little shell nestled in her hand--beautiful!

Susan
xo

Bronwyn said...

I found you via A Fanciful Twist.

This is a beautiful post. I love your morning view, & of course the evening birds. I like what you did with the shell patterns on the skirt.