4.12.2012

Hummingbirds-part 1


Hummingbirds! Oh, I love them. Did you know that these winged creatures are found only in the western hemisphere? Or that when the pilgrims arrived on our continent they met Native Americans wearing hummingbird earrings? In Mexico, kings were known to wear cloaks of hummingbird skin. I shudder to think of the how many sweet hummingbirds it would take to make an entire cloak, beautiful though it must have been. I prefer to imagine them instead as they were in the fairy tales, riding on the backs of swans or zipping along secret passageways to the underworld.


This is the second piece I’ve made including hummingbirds in the last few months. The first was created using a vintage image transfer and it’s hanging in my kitchen. I will make time to photograph and share that soon. The one below I created as the first of three pieces for our bare downstairs hallway using a photograph that I took of my daughter a month or so ago.

Along with hummingbird imagery, I was inspired by this quote by Norman Vincent Peale: Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see possibilities - always see them, for they're always there."

The hummingbirds represent the possibilities. The quote is written again and again around her body in the hopes that she will always remember the words.

Along with the photograph, book pages, acrylics, graphite and cold wax were also used on the 24x24 wood panel.


Thank you so much for stopping by. I've been a bit neglectful of my blog, for one reason or another finding it more handy to post life things on FB. I will try to be better about that in the coming months.

No comments: