7.30.2007

The Heart of the Matter

Where'er you walk, cool gales shall fan the glade,
Trees, where you sit, shall crowd into a shade:
Where'er you tread, the blushing flowers shall rise,
And all things flourish where you turn your eyes. ---Alexander Pope

Thank you all for your comments on the Confidence post. It seems that we share so much, smile at the same things and yet we also struggle with the same things. This connection warms my heart, bringing so much joy and I am sending a great big hug to you all.

These last few days I have been at a loss for things to post as I am either one of two things. 1. working on things that can't be shared yet on the blog or 2. feeling absolutely drained and more than a bit like the empty well that needs to be filled. I did buy two things yesterday that are art-related. A miter box and a saw. These are to make frames like Claudine Hellmuth shows us in her book "Collage Discovery Workshop." In the past measuring and sawing have defeated me but not this time! I am determined....I may even attempt the first frame today....our first homeschool lesson of the day!. :)


Don't you just love the little hummingbirds? I saw one yesterday at my grandmother's and it reminded me of a recent visit from another winged friend.

Perhaps I should first mention that we never, ever get hummingbirds at our home. I was sitting by the window, making notes on an art piece (one of those I can't share yet) or at least trying to figure out what direction to go with it. I was feeling a bit lost, a little insecure as if maybe I was in over my head when I decided to ask the Universe for a bit of guidance. Immediately I felt drawn to look up and there framed in the dining room window was a hummingbird. It lingered for a long while, coming back again and again. A feeling of rightness and comfort immediately came over me. A flash of remembrance, perhaps something once read or heard came to me and I ran to the computer to look up Native American Totem animals. A hummingbird, I read, can be sent to remind us to get to the heart of the matter. Exactly! I had been thinking too much!

I took this as a message, a sign and asked my heart for direction and went with the first thought that came to mind, working on that piece on into the night til it was completed. It is interesting what happens when we ask for help.

One more thing before I leave you...You know how I mentioned the wonderful pink skirt in the back of the closet....well, I did not wear it because it was too small! I also have gained a bit of weight so I have been on a mission this past week to lose the extra pounds, exercising every day and keeping a written record. The exercising in the past has been such a struggle for me---I think I have been in denial that it is a necessary thing, choosing to play with my papers and paints for hours instead. I am making a small change---thirty minutes each morning. Drinking more water. My goal is to wear the skirt to the Just Be Connected Workshop in October.

BE splendid, be creative!!!!

3 comments:

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

That is so wonderful that you saw the hummingbird, and saw this as a sign. I do the same things, I look for good signs. Beautiful pictures! Nita

Unknown said...

It is neat how connected I feel to all my creative sisters by blogging!

I love how you turned a necessary part of your work into a lesson!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, that humming bird is gorgeous.