8.02.2007

5 Gifts

1. The first thing I did this morning was grab a glass of water. The second thing was to sit down with a piece of canvas paper, 5 x 5 ish. I decided upon sitting up in the bed that I would not let another day go by without making something. Anything. That was my first gift to myself. 30 minutes is all I had and there was laundry, yes. And lesson plans to gather and plenty to do. You know cause you have it too. Those piles to sort and papers to go through. Well, I thought about printing out a vintage photo to work with...no, that would take too long...I decided to try something new and that was to play with my oil pastels. Not just using them to outline things like I usually do but draw with them. The only rule was that I absolutely could not worry about the end result-I could only have fun....and I did. I didn't care if Cecelia---that name just popped into my head---was pretty or not---I only wanted to move color around on the page.
When my thirty minutes was up I left it alone...going back in the afternoon and adding the text from an old book, and adding a bit more black pencil to outline.

That time did me a world of good! Sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to have the end product and that can kill the creative spirit for me!

2.This evening I got to play a bit more. (Thank you Kelly!) I cranked up the AAR and found an image already printed. (Boy, do I really need to print some new photos to work with!) This one is called "Helen's Gifts." It is for a round robin page.



Gift # 3. This time a tangible one. Artful Blogger!

Wow! If you haven't gone out and snatched up your copy of Artful Blogger then you must. Truly! It is amazing!! I think my heart skipped a beat when I flipped through the pages as I stood in line at Barnes and Noble. I think I did a SWOON.
Congratulations to all you bloggers! There were many spotlighted that I visit on a regular basis and then many new ones that I am looking forward to getting to know.

4. Now, this goodie is my favorite---a package from the sweet and oh so amazingly talented Judy. Oh, I can't wait to play with the metal pieces and the laces! It was so funny, when I first opened the package I just stood there at the kitchen counter for the longest time staring down at the kindness before me and I was so happy and grateful and blessed. Thank you Judy!
5. The last goodie is this bracelet I purchased from my new friend Ana. I snagged it before it made it to her retail space. It was the red that caught my eye and I wore it today, noticing it occassionally, liking the feeling of the weight there, and each time it brought a big smile to my face and made me feel a little prettier, a bit sassy! I had a little of that swing to my step today that Olivia almost always has. I like that feeling!
Well, I am now remembering the laundry that never got done. I had better get to that or what will I wear to the Science Museum tomorrow?

Blessings to you!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Very cool post. And I love all your gifts. The first one is a favorite.

red tin heart said...

I love the red bracelet! Gorgeous. I also love the art you completed. Nita

Lee W. said...

What a refreshing morning you spent- the laundry can wait! I can't wait to see what you do with the metal and lace!

Linda Manning Findley said...

love the metal & lace very lucky lady .... the lady with butterfly stings is my fav of these .... Linda F

Pilar said...

Congratulations for honoring yourself by taking the time to sit and create. It is so hard just to let go and not be weighed down by self expectations, the evil self critic and a ton of other creativity killers. I love what you did with the oil pastels. The piece has a brightness and a sense of hope to me. :D

Jeanne said...

30 minutes? Wow you can really crank them out. Amazing artwork!!

Night Owl Designs said...

Hi Tricia, Thanks for visiting my blog :-) Your work is stunning! Sephi

There was an error in this gadget